Sunday, November 30, 2008

Twilight Is A Pale Comparison To Other Vampire Movies

Here it is the hit of the holiday, Twilight. Is it a good movie or is it designed just to suck all of the money out of your wallet?
The film is about a seventeen-year-old girl named Isabella “Bella” Swan, who moves from the bright Phoenix, Arizona, to the gloomy and dark Forks, Washington, to live with her father and chief of police, Charlie. Bella does this to allow her mother, Renee and her new husband, Phil Dwyer, who is a minor league baseball player, to travel.
When she arrives at her new school, she obtains instant attention and is quickly befriended by several students. Boys try to win the affection of Bella, but she is drawn to the mysterious Edward Cullen.
Edward to the boy who sits next to her in Biology class, and when they first come into contact, Edward seems repulsed by the sight of Bella. Edward even tries to switch classes to avoid her, leaving Bella feeling weird and also puzzled.
Bella’s curiosity soon grows and she gets one of her friends, Jacob Black (a Native American), to tell her the local tribe legend about the Cullen family. Bella soon comes to the conclusion that Edward is a vampire and a 108-year-old vampire that looks seventeen.
Edward then tells Bella that him and his family don’t drink human blood and drink animal blood instead. He also tells her that he avoided her because the scent of her blood was so tempting. So, yes he technically wants to eat her but doesn’t because he loves her.
Yes, Bella and Edward start up a relationship, things go well for awhile, and then another vampire coven finds their way into Forks. The leader of this coven is named, James, and he’s a tracker vampire (which means he hunts and eats humans). He soon decides that he wants to hunt Bella for sport and Edward and his family join together to protect her.
I won’t say what happens, but I think you can pretty much put it together.
This movie is not by any means the best vampire movie out there. I went into the movie with such low expectations, because the trailer and commercials really reminded me of a movie or show that should be on the CW. After I saw the movie I was kind of impressed.
The film itself is a very underwhelming love story but it’s high on camp and I love movies that have a lot of camp. The bad thing about this movie having a lot of camp is that it relies too much on it and looses its emotional insight.
The movie is obviously for fans of the book, but I even read the book and the movie in some places just seemed to be a spoof of the novel. Especially the scene where Edward demands Bella to say what he is, that scene just made me cringe. I listed the dialogue below; I mean that’s some corny stuff.

Cullen: Say it, say it out loud.
Isabella Swan: Vampire...

All right the next piece of dialogue I thought was bad was this …

Isabella Swan: Are you going to tell me how you stopped the van?
Edward Cullen: Yeah. Um... I had an adrenaline rush. It's very common. You can Google it.

Really? You had an adrenaline rush? That’s your excuse for stopping a van with your bare hands? Who the hell would believe that?
Ok, here’s the next piece of dialogue that just made me shake my head.

Edward Cullen: Are you afraid?
Isabella Swan: I'm only afraid of losing you.

*sigh* This would been all right if the movie wasn’t already campy, but when this line is uttered it just seems bad, not romantic, not beautiful, just bad.
Ok … with all that said the movie is entertaining and if you really want to see it, go see it. Yet, I doubt this movie is going to become a classic like the Harry Potter films, but we can always look back and watch it and laugh at things that are clearly not meant to be funny.
I will say this one more time, this would make a great series on the CW, I mean it - listen Hollywood you can make a killing off of it.

C+

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd agree, but I don't think the studio was trying to make a vampire movie - rather a teen movie smash for the holiday season. Oh well....

James Drzewiecki said...

I know, which sucks, we're really do for a GOOD Vampire movie.

Anonymous said...

i don't understand what is the appeal of Robert Pattinson (Edward), his nose looks funny to me

Cirque du Freak said...

So i read all 4 books before the movie came out. And I realised this... If you havnt read the books, the movie is simply and utterly lame.
However so, i only went to see the movie to see how the author/director portrayed everything ver. my imagination.
Haha there are quite a few cheesy scenes. But you need to remember this movie was MADE for teenagers. And if you have any sense in maturity, it will be lame. LAAAAME.

askih cathers said...

ha! i read all 4 books befor the movies even cane out. they were awosome. then the movies came out... they ruined it, man. now i like the book Nightlight, a parody, by THE HARVARD LAMPOONway better.

"about 3 things i was absolutely certain: First, Edwart was most likely my soul mate, mabey.
Second, there was a vamp. part of him--which i assumed was widly out of his control-- the wanted me dead.and third, i unconditionally, irrevocably, impenetradly, heterogeneously, gynecologically, and disreputably wished he had kissed me."