Sunday, October 13, 2013

31 Days of Horror 4: Originals vs. Remakes DAY 13




My Bloody Valentine (1981) vs. My Bloody Valentine (2009)
Original
You want a graphic horror movie? Look no further because the original My Bloody Valentine had something the remake didn’t a sick and twisted tone that truly made it different from previous slashers.
Twenty years ago in the sleepy mining town of Valentine Bluffs, a fatal mining disaster occurred on Valentine's Day while key members of the crew were decorating for a party. The sole survivor of the accident killed the absentee crew members and warned the town never to have another Valentine's Day celebration. When a group of teenagers decides that the town has gone without a party long enough and begins planning one, a murderous maniac in mining gear begins dispatching townsfolk in bloody and creative ways.
Yeah, the film takes from both Halloween and Friday the 13th and this is obvious but it doesn't make it any less fun to watch.
Remake
This was another one where the remake wasn’t bad.
The best thing that the 2009 film does is blend old and new and makes it work. The use of prosthetics is also a welcome return and something that is easily forgotten nowadays with all the new CGI technology.
The story is somewhat different from the original. This time we’re in the town of Harmony, I like Valentine Bluffs better. Also, instead of teenagers planning a party we get a husband and wife who are having problems in their marriage and the husband is cheating.
The remake does suffer from a mediocre script. Like the original, the film becomes a whodunit that is only hurt by the major plot twist that has been overused. Don’t worry I won’t spoil it, but trust me we’ve seen it a lot.
So, which is better?
This is a hard one for me. I liked both for different reasons but I have to say that I enjoyed the remake a little bit more.
Even though the 2009 film had its problems with the script and its mediocre performances, I found the use of modern technology, without forgetting the past, to be a wonderful blend.
Remake Wins

No comments: