Thursday, October 14, 2010

31 Days of Horror 3: The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms

DAY 14
A 1950's monster movie at it's best. Yeah it's cheesy and the story might never get exciting but the special effects are classic '50's monster movie.
The movie was directed by Eugene Lourie and it stared Paul Christian, Ross Elliott and Cecil Kallaway. It was based off of Ray Bradbury's short story "The Fog Horn."
The film is about a rhedosaurus, who has been frozen in ice, being awaken by atomic testing in the Arctic. The creature then gets mad, rises out of the sea and takes revenge on the city of New York.
That's basically it. The story is nothing special but this film set the template for Atomic Age Behemoth movies that would come after.
I recommend this movie to anyone who can appreciate monster movies and the cheesy special effects that they were capable of back in the 1950's. Just look at the picture above of the movie and that's basically what you're getting for special effects. It's great.

1 comment:

Terence said...

Even after seeing this film more than 40 times,it still seems fresh to me. Coming out of that "Cold War" era, atomic bombs, drop drills, and mutant monsters were so common to a boy like me, I hoped 40' cockroaches
would come and I's slay them with Black Flag. I've Mr. Bradbury and Harrihausen and their movies or written works have made indelible impressions on me