Monday, October 18, 2010

31 Days of Horror 3: Friday the 13th Part VI: Jason Lives

DAY 18
I'm a huge Friday the 13th fan, if you haven't noticed by looking at my blog. I love the series, even if it has some low points (Jason Goes to Hell and Jason X). Yet, my favorite films are the ones that were made when Paramount still owned the franchise. That would include movies I through VIII.
I picked Part VI to be included on this list because it was the first in the series to really be obvious about it's campiness. Yes, the installments that came before it had their fair share of tongue-in-cheek humor but nothing like what part VI accomplished.
The movie brings back Tommy Jarvis (Thom Mathews), who, as a kid, killed Jason Voorhees. Ever since then he hasn't been so sure if Jason was truly dead or not. This is where the film begins, we see Tommy with his friend driving to a graveyard to dig up Jason. They do end up digging him up and one thing leads to another and lightning resurrects Jason and now he's back and ready to kill.
I love how they use a very Frankenstein way in bringing Jason back from the dead and I also like how the movie pulls off a James Bond opening with Jason. It's these things that make this installment so much more special.
The film has a sense of humor and also a decent story, I still think the original Friday the 13th had the best story, but Part VI knows what it wants to accomplish and it does.
Now, I can't talk about Jason Lives without mentioning the infamous Alice Cooper song, "He's Back (The Man Behind the Mask)", the song is just pure '80's but it fits so well with this movie.
Jason Lives isn't the best Friday the 13th film but it's the most entertaining. Director, Tom McLoughlin took the Friday formula and changed it up a bit. Some things worked better than others but it was refreshing to have some new things added to the franchise.
I recommend this movie to everyone; I recommend this entire franchise to everyone. Friday the 13th is most likely my favorite horror franchise and I think everyone should watch them at least once.

No comments: