Sunday, August 31, 2008

The Summer Movie Season Closes


A look at some of the best and worst summer movies.

The Dark Knight - One of the best movies ever made and is the defining Batman movie. Heath Ledger gives us a performance that will haunt and entertain us for generations to come.

WALL-E - The intelligent story, charm and innovation of WALL-E proves to be one of PIXAR's biggest shinning achievements.

Iron Man - Not as good as The Dark Knight, but still a fantastic film. The movie sets new standards for comic book movies and Robert Downey Jr. gives us a stunning performance. In the end it's really Robert Downey Jr who makes this movie work so well.

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull - After years of waiting we finally got the fourth Indiana Jones movie. I have to say I personally loved this movie, I thought it was fun and a great way to bring back the whip wielding archaeologist. I know there has been mixed feelings between fans and all I have to say is that you guys begged for a sequel and you finally get one and it really isn't bad, so stop putting the movie down. I mean this chapter, in my opinion, was a lot better than The Temple of Doom.

Sex and the City: The Movie - Alright, first I'm not a die hard fan but I've seen this show on numerous occasions. Going into this movie I can see how all the fans would love this movie and they should because it really gives them a lot to sink their teeth into. Things I thought the movie had going against it was it's writing, it's good for TV but it could of been a little bit better for theaters and in some places I felt the movie was moving too slow.

The Happening - Here is a movie that had a lot of things not happening, and I thought it was original for just showing pieces of horror and letting our minds do the rest. A lot of people hated the movie for that reason. The reason I mark this as a disappointment is because the characters are not very likable, the ending is dumb and they took something that could of been a brilliant concept and just never seemed to run with it. I won't recommend this movie, but I will not stop you for seeing it. I enjoyed some of it and other parts of it I thought could have been done better.

The Strangers - Here is a movie that I was truly excited about. The commercials and trailers made it look like a 70's classic horror film, but when I watched it was nothing more then a lackluster, unoriginal and very non-scary movie. I've seen a lot of horror films in my day and I have to say this one is one of many that just seem to never come together. The whole movie is one note which causes you not to even feel for the characters and by the end you can careless what happens to them.

Speed Racer - This movie had a style of its own, a lot of source material from the cartoon and the directors of The Matrix trilogy, but with all that this movie slipped and became very cheesy and had a plot you could cut through with a scissors.

Don't Mess with the Zohan - I thought it was funny, I can see why some people might think it was stupid. Yet, I laughed more at this movie than Step Brothers.

Step Brothers - A movie that looked so promising turned out to be so tedious. The concept of them being Step Brothers I thought was a good opportunity for both Will Ferrell and John C. Reilly to flex some comic genius, but they both fail us. The movie does have a few funny parts and I stress a few.

Tropic Thunder - Had a lot of funny parts and the scenes with Tom Cruise and Jack Black were my favorite. There is a specific scene where they tie Jack Black to a tree that I found to be very funny and when Tom Cruise is dancing. It's definitely the funniest movie this summer.

Star Wars: The Clone Wars - I'm a Star Wars fan and I'm not scared to admit it. I was excited about The Clone Wars movie and then I saw it. In it's defense this movie is not meant for adults and is aimed solely for kids and some of the battle scenes were impressive.

No comments: